Monday, May 4, 2009

Shad!




Ah, true spring comes to Nantucket - the Shad have bloomed.  And I'm sure the Herring are running at the Massasoit bridge, Night Herons standing guard like Egyptian paintings and Gulls circling.


Amelanchier canadensis - Shadblow, Shadbush.  It only lasts about a week, very delicate blossoms and of course our weather is way odd this month.

I love how tender the emerging  leafs are, and the red, almost blood, life force tinge.

They are a member of Rosaceae, have tasty fruits in a July - a good small tree or shrub for a bird habitat.

This is Amelanchier canadensis.

1 comment:

  1. These photos are gorgeous. I'm always jealous of people who can garden, I just can't seem to get anything to grow. Plants look at me and die.

    Come visit our blog! And comment please, we love comments :)
    http://ivyandhaley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete