Thursday, March 19, 2009

More Hedgerows






The second picuture is a large Hedgerow in my country garden.  This protects me from our main road which is now paved, but formerly was very fine clay dust blowing over the nursery all summer - the Hedgerow caught most of the dust.

Can't see much of it here, but again I anchored the Hedgerow with Scots pine, variety "East Anglia" very blue for a pine, mixed in are Elderberries, Inkberries, Winterberries, Viburnums, Naive Cherrys,  a wonderful Cape  Cod Rambling rose, Sea Laurel, Bayberry.

It is in bloom from May through October, and then sports berries  - the Viburnum, Elderberry, Winterberry,  Rose hips all serve to keep the Hedgerow full through winter with happy birds.  The birds also nest in here providing me with a happy crew of insect gatherers through out the year.


The first picture is a Hedgerow that runs thru the middle of my garden - most of it was here when I developed the garden - I left it because once more it provided a windbreak, and I needed the space divided at that place.  i have added in Callicarpa, Lilac, Bridalwreath Spirea, some Japanese Red Pines  because they are so pretty at the New York Botanical Gardens and I wanted to see how they survived Nantucket... good so far, about 5 years from bare root stock.

Featured in the second photo is Viburnum dentatum, our native "arrow wood" with it's pretty white umbel flower in June, wild roses, wild Cherry, a  Pitch pine and Bayberry. The Milkweeds are there for the butterflies.

Watch here for some new pictures of "New English Hedgerows"  mixed species sheared as a standard hedge, but more diverse, not monocultures, so they reflect greater textures and colors - country garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment